FrameMaker 12 released

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Wed Jan 15 11:02:26 PST 2014

Simon Buch wrote:

?  c. In Kapil VERMA's blog entry, there's a section about "Licensing options":
    'Furthermore, we are providing both perpetual and subscription licensing options on all our products. We do realize that the licensing needs of our customers vary and hence, we are offering both the options for you. There is also special upgrade pricing available as well as limited time promotional price for some customers. Please refer to the product homepages for exact pricing information (links below).'

Really?
To help summarize what I read ... as far as I can tell from the various pages (I am only showing the US costs).

The promotional pricing is for the subscription model of TCS 5:

1.      Subscription of TCS 5:                    $29.99 per month for the first year (at a discount of 40%) - goes up after 1 year.

For licensees with both FM 9 and Robohelp 8 (as I read it), there is a promotion discount to the full license price for each product (separately, as I read it):

1.      FM 12                                                 $ 599 (at a discount of 40%)

2.      Robohelp 11                                     $ 599 (at a discount of 40%)

Presumably, each license cost above is separate(?) And, there is fine print that I am not sure how it would be applied: this promotion is "only available to eligible commercial and volume licensing customers worldwide" and "eligible retain commercial customers who purchase directly from the Adobe.com Store".

What is the definition of "commercial" in this context? Are free-lance writers who use FrameMaker and Robohelp not eligible?

For the new subscription model of FM 12, there is no discount:

1.      Subscription of FM 12:                   $29.99 per month.
For perpetual license upgrades to FM, there is no discount:

1.      From FM 11 to FM 12:                    $ 399

2.      From FM 11 to TCS 5:                     $ 1199

3.      From FM 10 to FM 12:                    $ 599

4.      From FM 10 to TCS 5:                     $ 1199

5.      From FM 7.x, 8, 9 to FM 12:          $ 999 (no discount from list price)

6.      From FM 7.x, 8, 9 to TCS 5:           $ 1199