Graphic distortion in frame pdf

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Thu Jan 16 09:05:04 PST 2014

I would recommend that you save your graphics as .EPS instead of .AI.
Unless I've overlooked a recent change, FrameMaker doesn't directly
support embedding of .AI files. They do sometimes work, though. Here's
an _old_ explanation from Dov Isaacs of Adobe:

"First of all, FrameMaker never really officially and fully supported
import of Adobe Illustrator .AI files. Officially, FrameMaker only fully
supports import of .EPS and .PDF files saved from Adobe Illustrator.

"Secondly, until several years ago, the .AI file format used by
Illustrator was almost identical to the .EPS format. In those cases, if
one attempted to import on of those .AI files, it often "worked" because
internally, despite not having a .EPS suffix, it looked like an EPS
file. The current (i.e., Illustrator 9 or 10) .AI format likewise can be
imported into FrameMaker if and only if the .AI file was saved with the
option to make the file PDF-compatible. (Contrary to an unfortunate
public perception, Illustrator's native file format is NOT PDF.
Illustrator stores its formatting information in a private data area
within what looks like a PDF file which can optionally have all of
Illustrator's private data repeated as genuine PDF data for display and
print in Acrobat.) In this case, FrameMaker is successful in importing
an Illustrator file because it has PDF information as well.

"The safest and most highly recommended method of Illustrator content
import into FrameMaker continues to be EPS."

Read Dov's full message text here:
http://www.freeframers.org/archive/02/msg01600.html

Mike Wickham