OT: Adobe Acrobat Pro and Adobe Reader on same client

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Tue Jan 21 14:18:53 PST 2014

Here are some quotes from Dov Isaacs of Adobe, one of our patron saints
around here:

  >/Although you CAN have both Reader and Acrobat installed
simultaneously//(assuming the same version), it is very strongly NOT
RECOMMENDED for a//number of very good reasons. It certainly does not
add any functionality//to one's system..//.
/>
//>
/        - Dov />//

Here's a link explaining some reasons why:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pdf@lists.pdfzone.com/msg03152.html

  > I am sure we will get the inevitable responses from members of this
list that boast about how they have multiple versions and/or mixtures of
Acrobat and Reader concurrently installed and somehow get some or most
of the functionality to work for them. On the other hand, there are a
tremendous number of problems reported to Adobe that are suddenly
cleared up when the user's systems are scraped of all concurrent
versions of Acrobat and Reader, replaced by a single version of one or
another. (Note that by "Acrobat" I mean any and all pieces of it
including the Distiller, the AdobePDF PostScript printer driver
instance, and the viewing program!)

  > But, some list members will complain, how do I know what the
recipients of my PDF file will see on their systems if I also don't have
a copy of Reader installed, or perhaps multiple versions of Reader and
Acrobat installed? The response to that is to have test systems (or
separate test partitions of your one system) that have minimal software
installations (especially fonts) and a copy of the target version of
Adobe Reader. That is the only way to truly simulate the user
experience. For that matter, old, slower systems are even more appropriate!

       - Dov   >

I got the above results using "Dov Isaacs Reader Acrobat on same
computer" as a search term on Google. There are more results.

I think the bottom line is that putting Reader and Acrobat on the same
computer is not wise, but if you risk it, make sure both are the same
version. You would be better off to set up a Windows Virtual PC with
only default operating system and fonts if you feel the need to test a
Reader view. Even then, which version of Reader will you test? Users use
different ones. And don't forget to embed all fonts.