Adobe Acrobat Pro and Adobe Reader on same client

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Tue Jan 21 13:45:12 PST 2014

Hi, Tammy and Fred.

I know about the dire warnings on installing both Reader and Acrobat on the same system, but I have done this without any issues for more than five or six years now (since Reader 7 onwards, as I recall).

I always install Reader first, and then Acrobat afterwards - so that all the defaults, files, etc., are from Acrobat. Even when updating later (on Adobe security and other releases), I do them in that order - although the Acrobat updates seem to lag the Reader ones sometimes by days, so I wait. Meaning, I do not use auto-update without my express selection.

This has prevented any problems for me - the default action is that Acrobat is used for normal PDF display, etc., but I can still manually use Reader to check out how my PDF files work with it.