Subject: RE: OT: Adobe Acrobat Pro and Adobe Reader on same client

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Thu Jan 23 12:17:47 PST 2014

On 1/23/2014 1:17 PM, Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain at aeris.net) wrote:
> 	Do people here feel that it is necessary to check a PDF in a "Reader only" environment if that PDF looks fine in Acrobat?

I don't normally feel it is necessary. My understanding has always been
that Reader is basically the viewing portion of Acrobat. So if it
doesn't look right in one, it won't look right in the other. I see
Acrobat as Reader, plus a bunch of other features that we have to pay
for. I don't know if that's accurate, but it's my impression.

Having said that, there are a few times that I've found it necessary to
check a file in Reader (on a separate computer). I've never seen any
differences in _appearance_ (assuming that I remembered to embed all
fonts, which I always do because I have my joboptions set to do so by
default), but I have seen problems in functionality. Examples include
forms that didn't work in Reader, but did work in Acrobat, because I had
some setting wrong. Or the review feature not working-- again, because
it wasn't set up right beforehand. So I may check a form in Reader, or a
PDF being sent out for review.

Mike Wickham