SOLVED Re: UPDATE to CORRECTION: Section Number resets after closing file

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Fri Jul 4 07:37:08 PDT 2014

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for responding. It turns out that the Section numbering
property will work only for files that are nested under a book
folder. Unfortunately, Framemaker doesn't tell you that when you are
setting up the Section number. It happily does your bidding and then
when you regenerate the book, it resets all Section numbers to the
default 1. In hindsight, the resetting is appropriate behavior; but
the letting me do something wrong without warning me is bad behavior.
It greys out the Section number at the book level if the file isn't
inside a folder to prevent me setting the Section number at the book
level; but it does not grey it out at the file level, leading the
unsuspecting tech writer to believe that it is a legal function.

So I put each file in its own book folder and things seem to work
well now. I can cross-reference to the Section number, and it
"sticks" when I regenerate the book. Panic over. Thanks much to Rick
Quatro for helping me troubleshoot the problem.

Carol