Creating Structured Frame

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 11:48:37 PDT 2014

Well, converting to structure isn't trivial, but it's not impossible either.  You're missing three fundamental things:
* It's not enough to just convert paragraphs to elements -- usually you

   have to wrap elements in elements.  For example, a list might be

   in the conversion table.
* You need an EDD that maps the XML structure you have in mind over to

   FrameMaker formatting.  If you have a DTD in mind, then maybe you can use

   that as a starting point for the EDD.  If you're converting to a standard that

   Maker already supports, then an EDD is already there for you.
* You have to import the EDD into your newly structured document.

I recently did a webinar covering the basic workflow for converting unstructured docs to XML, and I wrote a whitepaper for Adobe on the subject -- look on the Adobe site for "The Hitchhiker's Guide to XML". You can find the stuff (and much much more) here:
Author XML/DITA With The New Adobe® FrameMaker® XML Author 12

Good luck!

Author XML/DITA With The New Adobe® FrameMake...
Know About The Power of XML/DITA Authoring from Industry Leaders. Webinars, Blogs, Videos and Interactive Forum on XML authoring and the new Adobe® F...
View on www.authorxml.com Preview by Yahoo