Problems with documents imported from Word

Linda Furlet planosoprano at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 08:59:32 PDT 2014

Hi! I've never posted before, but here is finally a topic where I have
something to contribute!

I just converted three novels from Word, each about 200,000 words. My
experience actually wasn't too bad -- I created a Frame 12 template,
created a book, and then started importing the Word docs using the Word
filter, chapter by chapter. Then I developed a set of styles and went
through each chapter and applied the relevant style to each paragraph. I
actually had some fairly complex formatting in Word that I was able to
recreate in Frame with little trouble. I did not attempt to match style
names but instead developed new styles for Frame and applied those.

Even going through and applying a style to each paragraph, it took only a
few hours to reformat almost 600 pages in the first book.

Perhaps my experience was different because I wrote the novels in Word,
with each chapter as a separate file, so each file import was smaller. In
my experience, Frame chokes on massive Word files.

I finished the first book and sent it to the printer, and everything went
off without a hitch. The e-book has been more of a problem because of
hyphenation; I finally decided to turn the hyphenation off for e-book
because hyphenated words appeared to have weird spaces in them when I
viewed the mobi file on my various Kindles. I don't like Word at all, but
it certainly does a better job of hyphenation than Frame does (IMO).

Sincerely,

Linda Furlet