File not appearing in Set Structured Application dropdown

Ed Nodland enodland at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 08:58:07 PDT 2014

Angela

You said,

> I added a folder in the following location:
> Program Files\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker11\xml
> When I try to select my file from the Set Structured Application dropdown,
> it doesn’t appear.

Does that folder contain your Framemaker documents?  I assume they are .XML
files.

Assuming the answer is yes, Then I wonder why your department want's you to
put data files into the "Program Files" folder.  Seems odd to me.

The other possibility is that your department wants you to put your
application files in that folder.  The application files are the FM
Template, EDD (Element Definition), and Read/Write rules files.  These
files make up the "application".

The application definitions can be edited from the "structured tools"
dropdown menu.  This is where an application is given a name and associated
with the application files I mentioned above.  When you click File > Open
and select a .XML file Frame will ask what application the file is written
for.  This is where the Set Structured Application dropdown comes in.  You
specify the application name so that Framemaker knows what template and
read/write rules get applied to the file when it opens the XML.

When you say, "select my files", I assume you want to open an XML file
using File > Open, navigate to the folder that contains the files, select a
file to open, and then open it followed by specifying the structured
application to use.  If the application is setup this should be a simple
step.  I guess this depends on whether your "department" knows how to setup
FM applications, or they just install the software and expect you to do the
system configuration.

The recent versions of FM allows for Global level applications and user
level applications to be defined.  I left all the applications that came
with Frame in the "Program Files" folder (Global), but have my custom
customer applications in a c:/work/sw/framemaker/xml/projectname folder.

One other issue that showed up starting with FM11.  My root level element
was "book" but I changed it to lmbook as seen on lines 2 and 4 below.
Using "book" FM assumed I wanted the to use the global docbook application
and it would not ask me which structured app to use.  I assume there is
another solution to this problem, but that's what I got to work, so I stuck
with it.

 SAMPLE XML FOR STRUCTURED FM

> 1  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> 2  <!DOCTYPE lmbook SYSTEM "..\sw\regs4fm.dtd">
> 3  <?FM book?>
> 4  <lmbook ref="air2015" id="air2105" pageid="air2015">
> 5  <?FM document "Chapter3a.fm"?>
> 6  <chapter pageid="air.3" id="air.3" ref="3" xml:space="preserve">
> 7  <sectnum tabposition="2" tabnum="3" tabtext="Identification">Chapter
> 3</sectnum>
> 8  <title masterpage="standard">Substance and Article Identification
> (Dangerous Goods List)</title>
> 9  <section pageid="air.3" id="air.3.1" ref="1">
> 10 <sectnum>3.1</sectnum>
> 11 <title>General</title>

Ed Nodland

San Diego Data Services