top-bound book

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Wed Jun 4 13:54:18 PDT 2014

Framers,

I'm ready to print a wire-bound pocket-sized booklet that will be
top-bound (coil binding along the top of the book) so as to fit
nicely in one's pocket. In all my 18 years of doing this, this is the
first time I've run across having to publish a top-bound book, so I
have no experience to guide me. Thus I'm emailing you.

I've printed the Framemaker file to PDF and had the printer make a
demo copy for me. When the booklet is held open to a two-page spread,
the top page is upside down. In order to view it, one has to turn the
booklet over or upside-down. I have some questions:

1. Is this the customary way to print a top-bound book? Or should
both pages be visibly oriented the same direction? (That would put
the page number of the top (even-numbered) pages on the bound edge.)

2. If not, what is the easiest way to get the even-numbered pages
turned upside down? 1) By changing the Framemaker template; 2) By
doing something in Acrobat; or 3) by telling the printer to do
something on his end.

3. Is there a word that describes this kind of layout? I work with
imposition in booklet printing a lot but it doesn't seem to apply to
top-bound books.

I've asked my client to do a bit of usability testing to determine if
it will make a difference to his users. Will they want to view two
pages at once? Will they be inconvenienced by having to flip the book
over every time they advance to the next page? This is a field test
manual and they will definitely progress through the book one page at
a time. While he's checking that out, I thought I'd check with you for input.

Carol