Import by reference question: Word conversion to FM11

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:07:44 PDT 2014

No, it doesn't render them as JPEGs because there is no rendering involved. The zip archive that is the .docx file contains the source graphic files in whatever format they were in when inserted into the Word document. Just look in the Word/media folder inside the archive.

What this approach does *not* handle, though, is easy access to any embedded OLE objects, such as Visio drawings or PowerPoint graphics. These show up in the Word/embeddings folder as binary objects that are not usable outside of Word.

Also note that it is not necessary to change the extension of the Word filename if you have a real zip tool like WinZip rather than using Windows' own zip feature. Just choose "All files (*.*)" in the WinZip Open dialog, and you can open the .docx archive directly.

-Fred Ridder