Round-trip revisions via MS Word. Alternate methods?

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Mon Mar 3 09:57:49 PST 2014

Agreed that LaTeX has a steep learning curve and, in this WYSIWYG world, it may seem like a step backward to some people. However, the power and flexibility (with highly consistent formatted output) is very appealing in some cases.

With regard to hyphenation, it sounds like the person writing the thesis was not providing hyphenation hints. You can use the \hyphenation command to identify the break points in a set of unusual words, and LaTeX will do the right thing after that whenever it sees those words.

Or you can also use hyphenation marks in the wording of the text as needed. So that if the text flow changes later, the hyphens are _not_ shown when the word is not at the end of the line. This is best used for the occasional word, rather than using hyphenation hints for all occurrences of an unusual word.