Round-trip revisions via MS Word. Alternate methods?

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 10:06:52 PST 2014

At 09:57 -0800 3/3/14, Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain at aeris.net) wrote:

>Agreed that LaTeX has a steep learning curve and, in this WYSIWYG world, it may seem like a step backward to some people. However, the power and flexibility (with highly consistent formatted output) is very appealing in some cases.
>
>With regard to hyphenation, it sounds like the person writing the thesis was not providing hyphenation hints. You can use the \hyphenation command to identify the break points in a set of unusual words, and LaTeX will do the right thing after that whenever it sees those words.

It was just an example taken at random from recent experience. I'm sure there is a workaround, but the writer is a software expert and researcher, and the fact that he didn't know about this sort of proves my case - that getting good results out of LaTeX requires deep knowledge ;-) I am sure that it can be made to do great things, but I've never seen what I would consider acceptable results come out of it in the the hands of non-experts.

--
Steve [Trim e-mails: use less disk, use less power, use less planet]