Structured FM 11 Font management issue

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Fri Mar 7 18:42:30 PST 2014

Hi Brenda,

as far as I can see you mentioned all relevant parts that lead to a
specific formatting in a XML workflow.
Pls also check the r/w-rules, there may be (older, non-Unicode)
definitions expecially directing the output for symbol fonts.

Now, if you had a "clean" workflow - EDD and template - the font
information would correctly be Courier new or ITC Dingbats.

The notification shows that Courier/ZapfDingbats are still "somewhere"
and will come up every time you convert an XML file to a Frame file.
This information is not part of the XML file, so it must still be in
your template: What happens if you open it? You may convert the template
to "mif" and check if the fonts are still defined (open it with a text
editor). As the template and therefore the "mif" file also contains all
EDD definitions, this should make clear where the problem is.

Concerning the ZapfDingbats font: Probably the template has been
reworked with a FrameMaker where the entry in the maker.ini was NOT
present...

Now, if you change e.g. this one entry in the maker.ini to:

Zapfdingbats, *,*= ITC Zapf Dingbats Std,*,*

as you mentioned, this may help for the Frame publications you produce,
but you would still get this message every time, which is quite
annoying.

So it is better to find out about the template...

There are 3 main issues here:
(1) If you changed the EDD, it must be re-imported into the template.
(2) A change in the FrameMaker formats must always be done via the
"update all" command, otherwise the definition will not really be
affected.
(3) There may be formats on the master pages (that are not in the format
list) or formattings defined in the EDD eg. for prefixes or suffixes
that are not easily found. A text search in the mif file should show
everything.

Btw, as far I can see, all characters in ZapfDingbats are on ANSI
positions whereas in the ITC font all relevant characters are on their
Unicode positions - maybe this will not work as expected if you only
change the font but not the character encoding information (eg. via
r/w-rules).

Best regards -

Tino H. Haida, Berlin

George, Brenda (CAI):