Reworking legacy FrameMaker graphics

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 08:31:29 PDT 2014

At 10:08 -0500 11/3/14, Craig Ede wrote:

>But you wouldn't be editing screen shots, would you?

No - in this instance is it most likely to be line art originated in FrameMaker's graphics editor that need to be improved.

>For extracting "whole" graphics like those, it might be better to do a saveAs HTML and then use the graphics from the images directory.

Ah - the old Word trick...

> Also, MIF2Go can export to FM to rtf, which allows you to save from Word to HTML.

At present Mif2Go is closed to me, but I expect everyone will heave a sigh of relief when I finally migrate off FrameMaker 7 for Mac ;-)

> From there you can use the PNG generated in the HTML directory graphics folder. For editing the graphics, this might be slightly helpful in that you could then just PDF the graphic(s) needed from that directory rather than navigating through the FM document to find them.

Sure: I don't need convincing that Mif2Go is a valuable tool, from what I've read here over the years, and from its user guide. Also, a whole new sunny upland of plug-ins opens up with a FrameMaker Mac -> Windows migration. Some slight compensation for the pain ;-)

--
Steve [Trim e-mails: use less disk, use less power, use less planet]