Generating web pages out of FM

Keith Soltys keith.soltys at tmx.com
Tue Mar 11 13:20:31 PDT 2014

I’ve been using an evaluation copy of FrameMaker to test the online capabilities.

The most capable format is the Responsive HTML5, which is comparable to the Reverb format in Quadralay’s WebWorks ePublisher.  It includes a slick skin editor that lets you customize the visual appearance. As with all of the output formats in Frame 12, you can control the text formatting by mapping your Frame styles to the online CSS styles.

I think you could get a very good looking set of pages out of this format, but whether you can customize it enough to meet your needs is an open question. For example, I haven’t been able to add a footer below the content that contains a table with our logo, contact information, and a copyright notice. I do this in WebWorks by editing the page template file, but I haven’t figured out how to do this with the Frame templates – there doesn’t appear to be any documentation about low-level customization like this.

You might want to download a trial copy of Frame 12 and try it out. The new publishing features are a big improvement over previous versions, but I don’t think offer the customization capabilities of either WebWorks ePublisher or the full TCS with RoboHelp.

Regards
Keith