TOC Failure

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:45:55 PDT 2014

There are only two things that are special about a TOC file:
It *usually* has a filename that it the same as the book file but with "TOC" appended before the ".fm" extension.It is added to the book as a generated file (Add>Table of Contents) and *NOT* as a component file (Add>File). Otherwise, it's just a file that happens to contain a whole bunch of autogenerated cross-references to all the headings in the document.

The most likely scenario is that somebody accidentally deleted the TOC from the book file, and then replaced the generated file with a static content file using Add>File. It's easy to get confused on this, because the TOC file will still be present in the file system and it seems obvious (but wrong...) to just re-add the file.

The fix is to delete the static file entry from the book file and re-add a table of contents. Do *not* delete the actual TOC file from the file system; the file itself is just the same as it was before it was changed to a static component. When re-adding the TOC, it's optional whether you allow FrameMaker to update the book and regenerate the TOC, but if you do perform an update it should turn out to be formatted exactly as the previous TOC was (as long as nobody trashed the file for the previous TOC).

-Fred Ridder