TOC Failure

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Thu Mar 13 16:40:17 PDT 2014

Hi Alison,

this is a problem that I very often have: My colleagues are using the
English installation of FrameMaker which uses name extensions like TOC,
SIX, and para formats like "body", and so on, whereas my German Frame
uses IVZ, IX, "Haupttext", and so on.

My installation does not always recognize generated files coming from
the English version.
This is very annoying, and when I re-generate, the standard para formats
(German name is not "LevelTOC" but "EbeneIVZ"!) do not exist in the file
and will come up with a useless standard formatting. Furthermore, some
reference pages will not be found, which especially applies for index
generation. So its much work then to recover files and formatting...

You better take care that all colleagues are using the same installation
language (preferably English). FrameMaker comes with a multi-language
installer, but of course normally those with the "wrong" language have
to re-install their FrameMaker.

Best regards - Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Craig, Alison:

> I received a request for help from my counterparts at a sister company in Denmark. I know they are running unstructured Frame 9 and should be all patched at this point. At least one system is a 64 bit Windows 7 Pro machine.
>
> The issue is a TOC file that is no longer a TOC file. It's simply registering as a regular FM file in the book, although it used to be a proper TOC file that updated just fine when required.
>
> Can anyone tell me:
>
> · why - and how - would a TOC file stop being a TOC file?
>
> · short of simply recreating a new TOC file, is there a way to salvage the existing file and turn it back into an updatable TOC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alison
>
> ALISON CRAIG | TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION LEAD
>
> Ultrasonix | 130-4311 Viking Way | Richmond, BC V6V 2K9 | analogicultrasound.com [1]
>
> T 604-279-8550 EXT 127 | F 604-279-8559

Links:
------
[1] http://www.analogicultrasound.com