Cannot insert the infinity symbol and other special character problems

Fei Min Lorente FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com
Mon Mar 24 08:24:43 PDT 2014

Wow! Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm sorry I've taken so long to close this thread, but other work got in the way, and there were so many things to try! I don't think I got to them all, but here is what worked for me on my colleague's virtual machine:

*         Copy the infinity symbol from a Word document and use Paste Special > Rich Text Format in FrameMaker. If I use a regular paste, I get a question mark.

*         Copy the infinity symbol from the Windows character map (Programs>Accessories>System Tools) and use Paste Special. But Winfried has a warning that the Windows Character Map might show characters that are not part of the font you're using.

*         Alt+0165 as blogged by Matt Sullivan, which gave me a yen symbol, and then I applied the Symbol font. I was trying 221E and I think Heiko Haida tried to explain that I can't produce characters over 00FF hex without modifying my Windows, so thanks for the alternate ANSI code, Matt.

Fei Min