Using XML with FrameMaker

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 26 07:10:18 PDT 2014

Max,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but during the webinar introducing FM12 some weeks back, didn't they show that you could switch to this mode in FM (as some kind of menu choice) so that you are effectively running FM XML Author 12? I know that this is much less powerful than the full FM12 Structured, so you really don't want to do this because you are effectively restricting the functionality of the product you have.

But the advantage of this is that you can (without installing something new, risking conflict, etc. etc) see exactly what FM XML Author gives you to work with. This can be great for evaluating whether it will be useful in your particular situation or not.

One further note on Structured FM usage: I routinely work on unstructured documents, but my FM 11 (at work) and FM 10 (at home) are both set to start up in structured mode. Except for appearance of the extra menu choices, working in structure mode does not affect the ability to work in unstructured document. Those don't get in my way and I can work seamlessly on either kind of document.

Thanks.

Craig