Structured FrameMaker 11 Console Font Error Message Displays when postscripting and creating PDFs

George, Brenda (CAI) BGeorge at federatedinv.com
Wed Mar 26 07:35:31 PDT 2014

In my office we are using Structured FrameMaker 11 in a Windows 7 environment.

A co-worker is encountering an error message when creating postscript files from Structured FrameMaker 11 files to send to the printer. The FrameMaker console displays the following message:
The "Times" Font is not available.
It will be replaced by "Times New Roman".

This error message does not display when the FrameMaker template is opened, or when the xml file that is imported into the FrameMaker template is imported.

I created a MIF file of the FM11 template and neither Times or Times New Roman is included in the template. The problem seems to occur when postscripts or PDFs are created. I noticed the error message displaying on my computer when I created a PDF with registration marks. When I viewed the pdf there is file information that appears at the top of the PDf near the registration marks that includes the file name, date, and time. This information appears as Times New Roman. When the co-worker created a PDf without using registration marks, the font error message still displayed.

I added the following line of code to my maker.ini file:
Times, *, *, *=Times New Roman, *, *, *
and this appears to have eliminated the font error message from displaying.

I'd like to determine where this Times font or the reference to times exists so that I can eliminate it altogether. Times does not appear to be in the FrameMaker templates, the EDD, or the read/write Rules.

Is there a systems file that FM11 launches when creating postscripts and PDFs that might contain code that references "Times" instead of "Times New Roman"?
Any help with resolving this will be appreciated.

Brenda George
Desk: (724) 720-8491
bgeorge at federatedinv.com

Unless notified to the contrary by the sender, the recipient should
consider the contents of this message including any attachments to
be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient and have
received this message in error, please contact Federated Investors
immediately by forwarding this email to notify at federatedinv.com and
then delete this message from your system. Saving, copying or
disseminating an inadvertently received email could violate state
and Federal privacy laws. All emails received by or sent from
Federated may be provided to regulators or law enforcement
agencies, or used for other purposes consistent with Federated's
business interests. Thank you for your cooperation.