TOC entry out of sequence

Karen Robbins karendesign at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 13:06:08 PDT 2014

Hi Wim,

In the first case (catalog), I didn't set up the files so have no idea why
that approach was taken. While the chapter start master page was built with
a disconnected chapter-head frame, only a few of the actual book (body)
chapter documents were that way--that is, all the others' chapter-head
frames had been connected to the main flow, even though their master page
showed it disconnected. I'm correcting these as I go (after many years of
not realizing it was even an issue).

===

In the second case (quarterly publication), there is no master page with a
shortened two-column main flow frame and a separate, full-width, non- or
other-flow  frame. Only this one instance exists and only on the document
(body) page. We do not use multiple flows. This full-width frame is not
connected to the flow because it occurs at the bottom of this chapter's
page 1 regardless of what text appears in the main two-column flow above
it. AFAIK, this full-width frame can't be anchored to any position in the
main flow because its position on the page is fixed but its position
relative to the text flow (content) varies. I could connect the full-width
frame to the end of the main flow, which would allow its head to appear in
the TOC at the end of entries for this chapter (instead of above this
chapter title entry) regardless of the page on which it appears. However,
the level 1 head of the full-width frame should be the second level 1 entry
for this chapter.

I understand now that FM places TOC headings by the order in which they are
encountered. Does FM encounter a text frame with no flow before the first
frame in the main (A) flow?

Thanks for your input,

Karen