making stuff unconditional in FM12

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Mon Mar 31 11:10:07 PDT 2014

I share a lot of Gary's frustrations, although I haven't expressed it as
eloquently :-). I also appreciate Alexandra's and Scott's opinions. I am not
opposed to the OWL interface, per se, having used it in InDesign, etc. It is
the general lack of quality control and consistency that has been
disappointing for me. FM 9 was really a dog as far as performance and
stability and the interface changed the way important short cuts worked in
previous versions. FrameMaker 11 had an undocumented FDK change that caused
problems with document display updates in plugins and scripts. Documentation
updates have lagged behind in each release. The ExtendScript documentation
is sparse and contains inaccurate information. At the same time, users have
had to pay premium dollars for each release while Adobe struggles to "get it
right".

For me, FrameMaker 8 was a solid version. It had unicode support and the
"old", simple interface made things fast and efficient for automation.
Scripts typically run slower in the newer versions and you have to ignore
long periods of a white, "Not Responding" screen.

InDesign is not perfect for long documents, but the quality and "fit and
finish" of the entire InDesign universe is a stark contrast to the
FrameMaker world.

Rick Quatro

Carmen Publishing Inc.

585-366-4017