Can a PDF behave like context-sensitive help?

David Spreadbury dspreadb at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 11:56:30 PDT 2014

Beverly,
Simple answer, Yes.
If you search for "How to Open a PDF to a specific page" you will get a lot of hits. One, with a short description of how is http://www.ehow.com/how_6975556_open-pdf-file-specific.html.

On Monday, May 19, 2014 1:42 PM, Beverly Robinson <beverly_robinson at datacard.com> wrote:

I am using FrameMaker 12.0.2.389 and Acrobat 9.5.5 Pro Extended on a Windows 7 64-bit computer.

One of the projects I support would like to open a PDF User’s Guide from the user interface but, and here’s the catch, they want to open to the specific page of the PDF that applies to the page of the user interface. In other words, they want the PDF to act like context-sensitive HTML help. And I want it to be automatic. That is, I want to be able to insert markers in my .fm files that survive the PDF creation process and I want the software developers I work with to insert corresponding information in their code that will cause the PDF to open to the relevant page of the PDF.

A colleague vaguely remembers doing something like this at another company but thinks it was all post-processing after the PDF was created and that there was significant software developer effort involved at each release. That would not be acceptable.

In other words, I want something equivalent to a RoboHelp mapping file. Am I asking for the impossible? If this is possible, please point me to the topics in FrameMaker or Acrobat documentation that will get me started.
Thanks for any help you can give,
Beverly

P.S. Please copy me on replies. I’m on digest.