Trados and FM9 : Company requests files in MIF format?

Reng, Dr. Winfried wreng at tycoint.com
Tue May 20 06:35:34 PDT 2014

Hi Stephen,

All translation memory systems (such as Trados) can import only
FrameMaker MIF files. Only if the translation agency offers DTP services,
they could convert binary FrameMaker files to MIF themselves.

You can export all files of a book individually. Or you can do this
with one of these solutions (there are definitely more):

Mif2Go (works also with the demo version)
http://mif2go.com/

Plugin from Cudspan
http://lists.frameusers.com/pipermail/framers/2012-September/026727.html
http://www.cudspan.net/plugins/

itl FrameScript
http://www.i-frame.itl.info/en/feature-description/i-frame-modules/translation-pack/convert-fm-to-mif-mif-to-fm.html

Trados does not support FrameMaker 12 yet. However, it seems that it
is supported with the next Trados update:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/265040-framemaker_12_filter.html

Best regards

Winfried