MIF2GO questions

Harding, Dan dharding at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 5 08:49:09 PST 2014

I am taking a stab at trying to get reasonable RTF/Word output from Frame (yeah, I know...) via MIF2Go. Being an absolute newbie to MIF2Go and finding the 1100+ page user manual as clear as mud (it seems to be written for people who already know how to use MIF2Go, not for the uninitiated), I'm seeing some behavior that appears to be incorrect, but I'm not certain.

Environment: FrameMaker 12 (TCS5), Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit.

I have done all the initial setup and can get RTF output from MIF2Go using the default settings. The problem comes when I try to customize things:

When I select "Set Up Mif2Go Export" from the File menu, some of the interface options in the resulting window are disabled. For example the button next to Path which presumably would allow me to browse to another folder does nothing when clicked, nor do the Configure, Add, or Modify buttons.

When setting up the project, if I choose either Word or Frame template, the browse buttons do not work and I cannot alter the filenames in the text boxes.

What gives? Is this by design and everything must be done via .ini file editing (in which case why bother having a UI component?) or is there some incompatibility with FM12/TCS5 on my system?

I find the various cascading .ini files in a myriad of different locations to be confusing. Also, once I have gotten to the configuration screen for Word template and export options vs. Frame Template and set it once, I can never find that screen again to adjust settings. Is that related to the interface weirdness, i.e., should the "Modify" button or one of the others bring me back to that screen?

Thanks in advance.

-Dan