Docbook bookfile

Alan Houser arh at groupwellesley.com
Fri Nov 21 08:54:19 PST 2014

Whoa ... FrameMaker has "supported" Docbook for many releases. But the
support is generally poor, and is for a relatively ancient version of
DocBook (4.1).

Anybody who attempts to use FrameMaker for a real Docbook-based workflow
(particularly for authoring) is in for a lot of hurt. Which is a shame,
given the alignment of most Docbook use cases (long PDF docs) with
perhaps FrameMaker's most appealing strength (long PDF docs).

To address Wim's original issue, I've always been frustrated/baffled by
FrameMaker's XML "book" handling (converting each component file to an
XML entity). Thinking out loud, it may be possible to create a "shell"
XML file that maintains book components using XSLT's 'document()' and
'result-document()' functions. But you would probably not retain the
features of the FrameMaker book file.

In an ideal world, one could take a vendor's feature list at face value.
But that is not our world.

-Alan
---

Alan Houser
Group Wellesley, Inc.
Consultant and Trainer, Technical Publishing
arh on Twitter
412-450-0532