CMYK vs RGB RE: PDF query

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 19 15:40:44 PDT 2014

Do you need the CMYK option checked? (In other words, are you sending your
PDF out to a service bureau using a high-quality printer so it can be
printed and bound? That's usually why people are checking the CMYK option.)

>From some of the discussion here, I get the idea that people think CMYK is
just something you pick on a whim. And in response to an earlier comment
that CMYK affects color vividness in the PDF, that happens because CMYK is
limited to producing colors by mixing printing inks (a subtractive process
that is quite different from the additive mixing of pixels on the screen,
i.e. RGB).

Additive mixing produces white by its max values (256,256,256). Mixing C, M,
and Y inks at max values produces black (albeit not a lovely black, which is
why the K is there).

If your PDF is only going to the screen or a cheap printer (with minimal
control of the color space desired), then RGB is fine and choosing CMYK is
really not a smart idea since it takes much longer to distill and would have
little or no benefit.

Craig
P.S. Forgive any simplifications in the above. CMYK printing is a rather
complex issue.
P.P.S. The color space that can be produced by Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and K
(black) printing inks on paper is much more restricted than the color space
produced by RGB pixels on a computer screen. If you've ever mixed watercolor
paint you know that you can't mix colors with pigment that result in colors
that are lighter or more vivid than the colors you start with. Any mixing
reduces both the value (lightness/darkness) as well as the vividness
(saturation) of the color.