CMYK vs RGB RE: PDF query

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Sun Oct 19 18:07:58 PDT 2014

Hi Craig,

whatever the theoretical and technical differences of RGB and CMYK
colours are:

The FrameMaker RGB output of CMYK-colours is not even close to how the
CMYK output looks like. I am (still) using FM 10, btw.

Therefore I always produce CMYK pdfs first and use Acrobat preflighting
to get correct RGB pdfs (even if these pdfs are only for the screen).
The other way round would not work at all:
The "interpretation" of colours in the RGB output by FrameMaker is quite
strange (a colleague who only uses Indesign called these colours
"tawdry").

I am very glad that FM 10 (unlike FM 12) still seems to work with my
CMYK graphic files and CMYK colours.
I hope that as part of the Adobe products family, FrameMaker will soon
be able to handle colours like Indesign does, with colour profiles and
direct (error-free) PDF-X3/PDF-X4 compatible output.

Best regards - Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Craig Ede: