Re: FM9 Crashes when Creating PDFs with files that Contain PDFs (WAS: Frame 9 Crashing – Can’t Create PDFs)

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Sat Oct 25 09:27:51 PDT 2014

I thought I recalled Dov Isaacs explaining this as a Windows problem,
rather than a FrameMaker problem. I found the following quote from him
online, which appears to reference what was later called the
fntcache.dat bug (and fixed with a hotfix and, later, Windows update),
and a Windows bug relating to large page sizes and large fonts. I don't
know if that one was ever fixed and may still require setting a lower
dpi as a workaround. (I would note that I have no text or image dropout
at 1200 dpi on Windows 7.)

NOTE: The following is a 10-year old quote:
"(2) There is a known problem with FrameMaker under Windows only in
which text may disappear from the output page (i.e., selective text
dropout) when printing to PostScript devices, including Acrobat
Distiller. Unfortunately, the problem is NOT reproducible from system to
system or document to document either user sites or within Adobe itself.
What we do know is that the larger the logical page size in combination
with higher resolution settings aggravates the problems (i.e., makes it
more likely that you will actually see the symptom). It is for this
reason that we most strongly recommend that you NEVER use a Windows
PostScript printer driver setting higher than 600 dpi with FrameMaker.
If necessary to print to a higher resolution device, create PDF first
(with the Adobe Distiller / Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance
set to no more than 600 dpi) and then do the final print from Acrobat /
Adobe Reader to the actual print device. In the rare instances where
there is still selective text dropout, set the driver resolution to 300
dpi. We know of no situations in which the selective text dropout
persists at the 300 dpi setting. What are the ramifications of the lower
resolution settings? The resolution of image data is not downsampled or
degraded by this resolution setting. Nor is any damage done to vector
graphics or the quality of text. What it does control for FrameMaker is
the granularity of spacing, especially of text. Setting 600 dpi permits
"only" 600 starting positions per inch and interword spacing in 1/600
inch increments. Images and vector graphics positioning is likewise
limited to such increments. At 300 dpi, the value falls to 300 starting
positions and 1/300 inch increments. Anything under 300 dpi is
absolutely not recommended and could yield some rather gnarly text
spacing. Again, we recommend you start at 600 dpi and stay with that if
you have no problems. (Note also that 600 dpi gets around another
Windows GDI bug in which text formatted in larger point sizes is
converted to unhinted outlines. 600 dpi allow for text in pointsizes up
to approximately 100 points to remain as text for printing purposes.)"