My work-flow for dealing with backups from FrameMaker sessions ... Was: RE: Best practices for converting FM to Robohelp

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Fri Sep 5 13:52:21 PDT 2014

Adam Hollett said:

Ø  One of the least awkward ways to work with FrameMaker files and backups is probably to use revision control software like SVN or git. I keep backups disabled in FrameMaker because I know that every commit of changes to my files is backed up and reverting is easy.

Ø  This has worked wonders for us and I think it’s the way to go for a modern solution.

Agreed! Our software team uses Git (at Atlassian’s Bitbucket site) – having migrated from sccs and SVN over the years – and I am just getting myself up to speed on Git for another reason.

I chose to use one of my FrameMaker documents (using Bitbucket rather than Github since I can get private repositories cheaply) to get my learning done and plan to do this for all my documents, rather than the current simplistic way I use directory trees for version control.

Although I may still use my current subdirectory approach for each editing session … I may be wrong, but the Git “store everything on every commit” (rather than differences as in sccs or SVN) may be overdone, because it appears to creates a copy of the entire tree on each commit rather than a single subdirectory in my simple approach.

I’d love to hear more comments on, and experience with, Git too – was my purpose for spinning this off into its own thread rather than interfere with the original thread. FWIW, I am very old-school … I used to use sccs on our Sun systems, changed to RCS, and abandoned both when I came over to Windows for my documents. So, now I need to get back to better ways of doing things. ☺