Flare vs DITA

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 13 07:37:24 PDT 2015

Gillian asked:
"How does Flare compare to DITA? It seems like you get all of the advantages of topic-baesd authoring, without having to have someone write scripts for you. Has anyone tried modifying their templates? How easy or difficult is that. How is their help file making product?"
IMHO, topic-based authoring is writing content in small chunks or modules. To quote Wikipedia:
"A topic is a discrete piece of content that is about a specific subject, has an identifiable purpose, and can stand alone (does not need to be presented in context for the end-user to make sense of the content). Topics are also reusable. They can, when constructed properly (without reliance on other content for its meaning), be reused in any context anywhere needed." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topic-based_authoring)

It does not imply that the content is typed (specialized).

DITA is content that is marked up semantically. Although you can create content in DITA that is topic-based, you don't have to.
So the difference at the content level between Flare and DITA is that content written in Flare is unstructured and not marked up semantically, and DITA is structured and marked up semantically.
Which approach is more advantageous is going to depend on what you need overall now and in the future.