Flare vs DITA

grant at hedgewizard.net grant at hedgewizard.net
Mon Apr 13 08:09:06 PDT 2015

My apologies for the format; I seem to be thinking in bullets this morning.

* Flare is a tool; DITA is a standard (or collection of standards).
* You can use Flare to produce DITA
(http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare11/Content/DITA/About_DITA.htm)
* There are multiple other tools that can produce DITA output (which is
basically a subset of XML).
* You can do topic-based writing for other formats. (I did that for WinHelp and
WebHelp for years.)
* As Shmuel notes, the big step with DITA is that it has a focus on typed
content, which can allow you to do additional things with the content more
easily.

Grant