Flare vs DITA

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 01:44:37 PDT 2015

I'm sorry, but at a certain level this question is either too general (would require a collection of books to answer) or nonsensical (no context to base the comparison on).

I think the first question should be, what are you trying to achieve?  If all you want is an in-house process for a manageable set of docs that don't need to take advantage of re-use and other DITA power-tools, then the answer is easy.  Flare is easier to use than DITA.  But that answer is so very dependent on context that it's really meaningless.  Flare is easier if...  (add a long list of conditions here).  DITA is more appropriate when... (add another long list of conditions here).

So until you can express the goals, it doesn't make sense to me to compare a washing machine with a lawn mower.