Flare vs DITA

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 10:11:37 PDT 2015

Using Maker eliminates FO.  Instead, you set up a Maker template, and work in near WYSIWYG.  If you will use Maker, definitely, use structured Maker.  You could use a simplified structure -- not necessarily DITA.  For example, why not use XHTML?  Then you can make your PDF look like whatever you want via Maker template design, and your source is in XHTML.  If you later want to go to DITA, run a transform (yes, that would be a script).
If you want to use Maker to edit DITA, that can be done -- I do it.  Templates are not as straight forward as they could be...  Adobe unfortunately embeds lots of formatting in the EDD in ways that might even be called gratuitous...  That only makes it more difficult to modify your template.  But it can be done, and once done you're using familiar tools...  No FO scripts that need constant tweaking.
Like I said, I do this today.  There are those who poo-poo me for it, but it works just fine.  I'm crying all the way to the bank.
Yes, those are the scripts I am talking about.

-Gillian