Flare vs DITA

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Wed Apr 15 10:31:56 PDT 2015

Let me add to what Chris has said. If you need high-quality PDFs, nothing beats Adobe FrameMaker (InDesign is good too). I can't understand users who move to structured FrameMaker then try to get PDFs from the DITA Open Toolkit. They are never going to be as good as the PDFs that FrameMaker produces. Plus, you can take advantage of FrameMaker's templates: you might have a stripped-down non-WYSIWYG template for authors and content providers, perhaps based on XHTML structure, and then a "pretty" template that a layout person could import that would be suitable for PDF output. That kind of process eliminates the temptation of authors to worry about pagination and line breaks early in the development process.

And if the ultimate desire is to ditch FrameMaker, your content is at least already structured, and you can use FrameMaker to get PDFs until your DITA-OT PDF styles are fully developed.

Or, another realistic possibility: if you use a schema like DITA, let the authors and content providers use whatever editor they like. Then simply use a FrameMaker license as a "print-engine" to produce high-quality PDFs.

Rick Quatro

Carmen Publishing Inc.

585-366-4017

rick at frameexpert.com