realistic expectations in Pune, India

John Sgammato john.sgammato at actifio.com
Thu Apr 23 05:04:09 PDT 2015

Hi gang,
I have to hire a writer in Pune, India, but I wonder if I have unrealistic
expectations.
We have a pretty sophisticated doc system in unstructured FrameMaker 12,
using variables, conditional text, text insets, etc.
We need API content as well as content for network administrators and
managed-service providers, SaaS, and business resiliency. Knowledge of data
storage would be good.
The person will work independently, far from the home team in Boston. The
development team in Pune is a good team, but they do all the things that
aggravate writers, making last-minute changes and expecting "a quick
search-and-replace", not reviewing docs, etc.
The person has to be able to essentially finish and publish the doc to US
standards. My team does not have the time to edit the work from India. The
writer must know the proper use of articles and placement of commas.

So I am looking for a veteran with good grammar and 10+ years of experience
using all the parts of unstructured FM and with real-life experience
pushing back on a team. I can say all sorts of empowering things from
Boston, but if the writer doesn't feel it in his/her heart, doesn't have
the courage and the chutzpah to stand up to the team to ensure doc quality,
then I have the wrong person and I get stuck with poor-quality
documentation.

Am I looking for a chimera? There are plenty of writers like that in the
Boston area, but I need one in Pune. I suspect that TechComm has been a
career in Boston a lot longer than it has in Pune...does anyone there even
have ten years of experience?
--

<http://www.actifio.com/>    *John Sgammato, Documentation Architect*
*e* john.sgammato at actifio.com  *c* 508.927.2083

333 Wyman Street, Waltham, MA 02451
<http://twitter.com/actifio>    <http://www.linkedin.com/company/399246>
<https://plus.google.com/102870897962348937868/posts>
<http://www.youtube.com/user/actifio>    <http://www.actifio.com/>

*Radically simple copy data management *

*.*