NOT a "How Do I". Query re conditionaling table columns

Scott Prentice sp14 at leximation.com
Mon Feb 2 09:27:05 PST 2015

Hi Lin...

I think it has to do with the ability to have spanned cells. But also I
don't think that you can conditionalize a cell object. You can
conditionalize the content within a cell, but you can't just "remove"
(hide) a cell in a table. You'd have a hole.

Yes, theoretically, if you didn't have spanned cells, you could
hide/show the cells that make up a column, but since there is no
"column" object, there's no place to assign that data. You can
conditionalize rows, but cells are a bit of a different beast.

It would be possible to make a plugin or script that would assign a
condition to the content of all cells in a column, but you'd have to
actually delete the cells that make up that column to "hide" it.

The closest thing to a column object that you could assign a property to
for this purpose would be the "colspec" element in DITA. But in looking,
that doesn't allow the outputclass attribute (or other likely
attributes) where you'd assign a value that you could check for during
some publishing process to hide/delete that column.

If I were to want to do this, I'd probably set a marker in the column
header to indicate a hide/show property, then set up some sort of
process during publishing.

Yeah .. might be a nice feature, but it's fraught with issues.

...scott