converting FM cross references to xrefs

Alan Houser arh at groupwellesley.com
Thu Feb 5 12:50:38 PST 2015

FrameMaker will do this for you, including generating ID values. The
details are documented in the Structured Application Developer's Guide.

Basically, your conversion table should contain a rule for each
cross-reference format that may appear in the document. For example:
"X:FigureAndPage". If you generate or update a conversion table from
existing documents, you will get these rules automatically. You should
map these to your XML cross-reference element.

FrameMaker will generate matching IDREF and ID attributes on the source
and target.

You have a bit more flexibility if you import your EDD before running
the conversion table. For example, you can cross-reference a containing
section, instead of a title.

These are just the high points. Try it; it should work.

-Alan
----

Alan Houser
Group Wellesley, Inc.
Consultant and Trainer, Technical Publishing
arh on Twitter
412-450-0532