converting FM cross references to xrefs

Scott Prentice sp14 at leximation.com
Thu Feb 5 13:23:10 PST 2015

The method Alan describes works *if* the following are true ..

- you're doing a 1-to-1 conversion: FM file(s) to XML file(s). If you're
converting to DITA or some model where you're converting each FM file to
many XML files, this method doesn't work well since the target file
names are essentially unknown to the default conversion process.

- your model is OK with attributes named "Id" and "Idref" (cased as
shown). If your referencing attributes use different names or casing,
you'll need to run a script of some type to fix them up.

Also .. if you have references that go between FM files, your results
may not be so stellar. I haven't done that in a while, but I do recall
this being particularly difficult and required some extra scripting. One
tip is to modify your cross-ref formats so they include the target file
name in plain text (wrapped in brackets of some type so it can be
located by your post-processing script).

<sales-pitch>
If you are converting to DITA, you may want to check out my FM2DITA
plugin. It's a collection of tools that make the entire process
(including the cross-ref to xref) much more workable.

     http://leximation.com/tools/info/fm2dita.php
</sales-pitch>

Cheers,

...scott