Adobe SourceSans Han // Google NotoSansCJK font -- FM does not print to PDF -- Bug?

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Thu Feb 12 02:08:31 PST 2015

Hi Framers, hi Adobe experts,

I read about the Adobe / Google project of inventing a type with a
complete Unicode basic plane 0 (-->
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_Han_Sans).

So I found a website where I downloaded the Adobe versions (which is
"Source Sans Han"; in the sc version), and also from Google I got the
"NotoSansCJK" fonts (which are said to contain the same glyphs).

When I use the standard chinese (sc) versions of these fonts in
FrameMaker 12 (and FM 8, on Win7), on screen everything looks fine, but
the resulting PDF is -->empty!
("Empty" means that there is no font information on the page at all,
nothing is reported missing, only some characters from other fonts will
show up, the rest is absolutely blank.)
I tried rebuilding the Windows font cache, but without change in the
output.

--> The same text in Indesign will print fine with these fonts as PDF.

So whats the problem here? Why can't FrameMaker do this...?
Is the font too "big"?

I know that Opentype features are not available in FM (yet). But until
now, I always thought that that there would be no problems with using
normal CJK fonts.
Of course I remember the "font cache problem" of the old days of Windows
XP which caused an ongoing dementia concerning the characters (which
could fortunately be cured with a patch from Microsoft).

As this font project was developed by Adobe, I guess some of you Adobe
folks might come up with an answer (or solution?) for this.

Best regards - Tino H. Haida, Berlin