Re: Adobe SourceSans Han // Google NotoSansCJK font -- FM does not print to PDF -- Bug?

OISHIHIROFUMI simandl at mac.com
Tue Feb 17 02:18:14 PST 2015

Dear Heiko,

Hello. I've tried creating a PDF with Adobe SourceSans Han font (Chinese Simplified) on the following set:

FrameMaker: Ver. 12 (Japanese Ver.)
OS: Windows 7 Pro (Japanese Ver.)
Joboption: Press Quality
How to create PDF: Save as PDF...
Used font: SourceHanSansCN-Bold, SourceHanSansCN-Medium, SourceHanSansCN-Regular

The result is as follows:
When I have selected "CMYK" on the Save as PDF dialog -> Failed
When I have selected "RGB" on the Save as PDF dialog -> Successed

The problem should be same as the CMYK/RGB problem (often reported on the list), I think...

Best Regards,
Hiro. Oishi
simandl at mac.com

2015年2月12日 19:10、Heiko Haida <info at heiko-haida.de>さんのメッセージ:

Hi Framers, hi Adobe experts,
I read about the Adobe / Google project of inventing a type with a complete Unicode basic plane 0 (--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_Han_Sans).
So I found a website where I downloaded the Adobe versions (which is "Source Sans Han"; in the sc version), and also from Google I got the "NotoSansCJK" fonts (which are said to contain the same glyphs).
When I use the standard chinese (sc) versions of these fonts in FrameMaker 12 (and FM 8, on Win7), on screen everything looks fine, but the resulting PDF is -->empty!
("Empty" means that there is no font information on the page at all, nothing is reported missing, only some characters from other fonts will show up, the rest is absolutely blank.)
I tried rebuilding the Windows font cache, but without change in the output.
--> The same text in Indesign will print fine with these fonts as PDF.
So whats the problem here? Why can't FrameMaker do this...?
Is the font too "big"?
I know that Opentype features are not available in FM (yet). But until now, I always thought that that there would be no problems with using normal CJK fonts.
Of course I remember the "font cache problem" of the old days of Windows XP which caused an ongoing dementia concerning the characters (which could fortunately be cured with a patch from Microsoft).
As this font project was developed by Adobe, I guess some of you Adobe folks might come up with an answer (or solution?) for this.
Best regards - Tino H. Haida, Berlin