FM12: PDF file size exploding

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 11:08:09 PST 2015

Ah! More information I left out!

The book is an unstructured book, but it includes 3 files that were created
from structured data. Those 3 files are still structured, because that's
the only way to keep the xref links working.

The process is this:

   1. An Excel 2010 spreadsheet is converted to multiple .xml files by
   using a script, which inserts the correct DITA tags and also creates a
   .ditamap for them.
   2. The ditamap is converted into a Frame book using DITAFMx, which gives
   me a book file with a TOC and a single .xml.fm file.
   3. The .xml.fm file is added to an unstructured Frame book but is left
   as a structured file.
   4. The book is updated/generated and then a PDF is generated using Save
   As PDF.

As I said, when I was working in FM10, the PDF had a size of about 3, 3.5M.

The files were recently converted from FM10 to FM12. When I use the above
process and generate the PDF from FM12, the file size has gone to about
12-13M. The files that had been converted from .xml to .fm have not changed
since the last time I created the PDF in FM10. The rest of the files have
changed but not in a major way.

In a few days I expect to regenerate those .xml files from the source
Excel, so maybe something will change. It just seemed weird that the move
from FM10 to FM12 seemed to result in such a large increase in the PDF size.

I'll keep y'all posted.

--
Lin Sims