FM12: PDF file size exploding

Scott Prentice sp14 at leximation.com
Tue Feb 17 10:57:11 PST 2015

If these files started off as XML or structured files, and the others
didn't, there could definitely be some extra cruft in there. You
probably checked this already, but are these files still structured?

I haven't noticed any significant size difference in PDFs from XML from
FM11 to FM12. I just did a quick test of a single page .. when saved to
PDF from FM11 it's 63KB and from FM12 it's 69 KB .. over 100 pages that
might be a difference of 60KB. Not a big difference from my perspective.

Doing a similar test with an unstructured file, the FM11 PDF is 34 KB
and the FM12 PDF is 40KB.

The structured/XML sourced file actually has less content than the
unstructured file, and the resulting PDF is larger .. so it's possible
that your PDFs that come from XML may be larger. And there does seem to
be an increase in size (from both structured and unstructured) in PDFs
from FM11 to FM12.

You might check to see if your files are still structured .. removing
the structure (if that's the intent) might reduce the file size. Also,
since these files came through a different path, they may have
additional content/graphics/?? on reference pages which could increase
the file size.

Cheers,
...scott