Setup has detected . . .

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 3 18:39:08 PST 2015

Group,

Well, it took the help of the high-tech friend previously mentioned to get it done, but we finally got Acrobat Pro Version 9 installed.

The culprit that kept preventing it (and causing the "Setup has detected a more functional product" popup) turned out to be the "Adobe pdf creator" thing that INstalled with FrameMaker but did not UNinstall when I uninstalled FrameMaker to see if doing so would allow Acrobat Pro to complete its install.

The first part of the late-afternoon session was spent downloading and installing the latest AMD chipset drivers from the MSI web site. I don't know if any other of you have an MSI motherboard with AMD processor, but my experience with it was terrible; the physical installation early last week was ok, but installing the MSI device drivers via the God-awful "Live Update 6" feature did NOT function correctly. I tried it over and over and the download seemed to complete but the new drivers never actually "installed" (as indicated by the MSI Live Update "History" tab).

My phone converations with the MSI tech support folks were such that they assumed the download would automatically result in the drivers automatically installing -- but they didn't. So the tech support was NOT good, nor surprised or inquisitive.

Anyway, my friend found a backdoor way to get them (not via Live Update 6) and installed them. The result was a superior display and no more popups announcing that "hardware acceleration" was not enabled (even though it was, as indicated by the Windows 7 device driver troubleshooting window).

The only reason for this update was a move to 64-bit Windows 7 because my old (superior) ASUS motherboard did not support Windows 7 after I moved from Windows XP. In hindsight, I wish I'd purchased another ASUS motherboard, but money was a problem at the time.

So after that, we once more tried various ways to get Acrobat 9 on there, but to no avail. So we checked Control, Panel --> Uninstall Programs and then found the Adobe PDF Creator thing. I actually believed uninstalling FrameMaker uninstalled all of it and its add-ons but I was obviously wrong. Too much faith in the company, I guess.

So to be safe, we unstalled all of the Adobe things and ta-da! Acrobat 9 installed smoothly and beautifully; and after opening a few test pdf files to check it out, it works just as it should.

Tomorrow (Sunday), I'll REinstall FrameMaker 10. Which features should I NOT install? Remember -- it's Acrobat Pro Version 9 and FrameMaker 10.

Again, thanks to all for your kind assistance.

-- Ken in Atlanta