FM 10 sometimes changes graphics paths

Harro de Jong Harro.deJong at triviewgroup.com
Wed Jan 14 01:34:41 PST 2015

hi all,

I recently ran into an issue: we received a set of FrameMaker files for translation. After we sent the translated files back to the customer, they complained that all of the image paths in their files were changed.
They were using relative paths that had lots  of 'parent' references:
..\..\..\..\..\..\Graphics\etc

When I received these files, I placed them in a directory 4 levels deep:

F:\Customer\project\translation\incoming\blah.fm

When I opened this file Frame asked for the location of external graphics. I selected 'Ignore all missing files' and saved the file as MIF.
When I inspected the MIF, the graphics paths were truncated to
..\..\..\..\Graphics\etc

So the path gets truncated to the number of levels available from the current location.

When I store the file on an UNC path, it gets worse:
\\Server\Customer\project\translation\incoming\blah.fm<file:///\\Server\Customer\project\translation\incoming\blah.fm>
graphics paths:
\\Graphics\etc

In my opinion, this is a bug. When I select 'Ignore all missing files', Frame should leave the existing paths alone.

Has anyone else seen the same behavior?
Harro de Jong