Acrobat X: Manually sending a Shared Review

Zimmerman, Gary Gary.Zimmerman at Teradata.com
Mon Jan 26 15:31:58 PST 2015

When you do a server-based shared review, each reviewer's comments are actually stored separate from the review PDF, in separate XML files that are somehow linked to the PDF document.  That’s why you can have multiple reviewers reviewing and marking up the document at the same time.

If you use the option to save an "archive" copy of the file, the comments existing at the moment are all "flattened" into the PDF file that is saved, as regular PDF-based comments and markup.

Not sure how that's handled with email-distributed review copies going to reviewers who don't have access to the server where all the XML files are stored.

-- garyZ

From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Heiko Haida
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 2:25 PM
To: Fred Ridder
Cc: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Acrobat X: Manually sending a Shared Review

Hi Fred,

I was also thinking of the fact that Acrobat will use a PDF file with some modifications, like the comment function readied for Adobe Reader, not the original file.
(This is a useful service and you would have to keep this in mind if your doing it without Acrobat.)

But you are right, of course it is possible to share the file and start a review-cycle the old-fashioned way, only -- probably -- this will not be so "effortless".
To me, the server-based workflow seems to be better suited for a quick and efficient review than the email-based workflow.

Best regards - Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Fred Ridder:
I don't think that's entirely true, Tino.
You can still do a email-based PDF review with an unsupported mail system, but it's not automatic and it probably won't be integrated back to the FrameMaker source (I don't know about this last because I've never tried it).
The process involves exporting the comments from the PDF that each reviewer sends and then importing those comments into the master review PDF. Look in the Options menu for the Comments List section of the Comments tool palette (or whatevertheheck Adobe calls it...) for the "Export All as Data File" and "Import Data File" commands.
Not ideal, but it works, particularly if you keep the master file up to date and in a shared location, and all the reviewers are good about grabbing the latest copy of the master file before starting to add their own comments.

-Fred Ridder