workarounds for FM10 UI bugs?

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Tue Jun 2 17:13:26 PDT 2015

I got a reply from Adobe QA a couple of weeks ago (three years and a few
months after I posted this):

... First of all thanks to raise these pain points, we have taken note and
will investigate them at earliest. Some issues are already fixed by now, I
have my comments inline[red].

Please do let us know if there are further pain points.

---------

1. Document window size and position are not saved.

[ksaini]: Right now document window is not supported but locations of most
modal and modeless dialog boxes are remembered. We will investigate on
remembering document window position.

2. Docked panels often appear behind the document window, and I have to
resize, minimize, or close the document window to use them. Since window
size and position are not saved, I have to resize them dozens of times a
day.

[ksaini]: We will consider this in our coming releases

3. Sometimes I have the opposite problem: the side of a window is
completely blocked by the character or paragraph tag catalog, so I have to
minimize, close, or move the panel before I can resize the window.

[ksaini]: Same as 2.

4. When I open a panel, sometimes it appears behind another panel that's
already open, and I have to move one or the other before I can use it.

[ksaini]: Fixed in FM Next( the upcoming release of FM)

5. The first time I press Ctrl-f, I can just type the search string, but
after that the focus within the Find/Change seems to be random, so I can't.

[ksaini]: We shall investigate to fix this but for now there’s a workaround
– disable editàpreferencesàInterfaceàHide pod on close.

6. After a book has been open for a while, it no longer responds to menu
commands. I can double-click files to open them or use the right-click
menu, but if I try to select a menu command such as Edit > Update Book or
File > Save As PDF the book window minimizes and is no longer active. The
only workaround I've found is to close and reopen the book window, which I
end up doing dozens of times a day.

[ksaini]: Don’t see these issues in FM 12 or internal builds

7. A separate FrameMaker button appears on the taskbar for each file that's
open.

[ksaini]: if document window is undocked and FM icon is hovered then
multiple instances appears, similar behavior is there in outlook/browsers.
We would like to understand your pain point here.

8. The FrameMaker console window appears behind the application window.
Bringing it to the front is sometimes difficult.

[ksaini] fixed in FM 12 patch.

9. When I first start FrameMaker, Ctrl-F6 switches between open windows.
After a while, it stops working. (I can use alt-key menu

navigation.)

[ksaini]: Works fine in FM 12/ FM next

10. Alt-key menu letters are not displayed for all menu commands (e.g.

Documents on the Window menu).

[ksaini]: In FM 12 we improved some menu. We will take this up in future.

11. If I Alt-Tab to FrameMaker from another application, pressing Alt-Tab
again takes me to another FrameMaker document window (if more than one
document is open) instead of back to the other application.

[ksaini]: works fine in FM 12/ FM next