Sourcesafe

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 08:51:03 PDT 2015

I'd be happy to recommend other source control packages, but if you're on
your own and your company is using SourceSafe, I'd use it even though it's
obsolete and not supported and maybe has those file corruption issues. I
also wouldn't entirely trust it and continue your own backup program.

If you're on your own and just want to CYA, I'd use and recommend DropBox,
and even recommend that for small departments because it doesn't require
any in-house space, support, or IT connections (assuming you're not already
in a high security environment and can reach the 'net). Bonuses are that
it's simple and pretty bulletproof. It does cost something like $40 a year
for the source control archive feature, but well worth it.

If you want to set up a system in house, which I'd shy away from, SVN is
pretty much the gold standard for developers, but it does require a server
and probably IT support. Overkill for anything less than a department,
IMHO. I use Tortoise as the front end to the SVN server; works great. SVN
is like buying IBM equipment -- no one's going to bitch at you for making a
conservative choice with a package that's on the Best Practices list.

Art

Art Campbell
          art.campbell at gmail.com
  "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and
a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
                                                      No disclaimers apply.
                                                               DoD 358

I support www.TheGrotonLine.com, hyperlocal news for Groton MA.