FrameMaker 9 "Internal error 9004" issue

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Tue Jun 16 23:48:22 PDT 2015

Frank Ripp said:

?  Maybe it is time - if I upgrade, should it be to Frame 12 or "Frame 2015"?

Hmmm ... probably worth just going to FrameMaker 2015 in your case, I would think? The cost for either upgrade (well ... not an upgrade really, since it is a new purchase cost!) would be the same for you ... of course, the point that Robert Lauriston made about evaluating the competition again is well taken.

Basically, there are probably some (many?) bug fixes in FrameMaker 2015 that are not in FrameMaker 12 ... even though they were reported while FrameMaker 12 was the production release. And it makes prices for future upgrades lower if you continue.

[off-topic rant ... here I go again ... so feel free to ignore the rest of this! :)]
FWIW, since FrameMaker 12 will not get these fixes now, I believe, it just gives more credence to my "now-well-underway" project of moving away from FrameMaker entirely. Also, the price for upgrades remains too high IMHO ... perhaps (my speculation) to try to force people to accept the monthly/annual subscription model version instead! Yuck. :(

IMHO, companies should fix reproducible bugs reported in released versions - and not by forcing us to get bug fixes by upgrading to the next version (at high cost). I can rationalize spending $149 (used to be the support license cost) to $199 (used to be the old upgrade pricing model) every other year for upgrades to FrameMaker. But $399 is simply too much. Since Word for short new documents and LaTeX for long new ones are serving my needs very well. YMMV of course!

My point: in software, new versions (with upgrades at reasonable prices) should be for new functionality ... that can be charged for. Bugs in recent versions (let alone those reported on the released version!) should get free fixes. Most companies follow that practice till they EOL a particular release, even after new versions are available. Microsoft, Oracle and Cyberlink are good examples of this Best Practice.

I think it was Robert Lauriston who once asked me why I followed upgrade paths all the time ... I now think he was right to basically consider me an idiot (more or less)! So, FrameMaker 12 is likely to be my last version until all my old documents are converted away to the new tools I now use for all new documents! Then it will get punted permanently ... 27+ years after I first began using it!
[/off-topic rant]